Barnwood Chic

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Wild Horses

This palamino was in the last bunch to come in and my camera card decided it was full so I didn't get them coming in. There was also a dark grey applousa that was gorgeous.
These are the babies separated out. They didn't get many babies today. I think there are
10 of them.

The helicopters herd them into this fenced off area and a Judas horse leads them into the corrals.


This is the corral where they sort them out and load them onto trucks to take to another sorting area before taking them to Delta.



This was one of the first bunches to come in. They hoped to get 75 horses today and they got 79, so they were all happy.


John, Sharla and I went to look for wild horses about two months ago. We saw 21 that night around Skunk and Conger Springs. I had contacted the BLM because I was concerned about there not being hardly any water at Conger Springs and wondering if they could put a little trough there to catch the drip. In the course of the conversation I was told about this gather they planned to have. John & I, Brad & Cheryl and Sharla spent the day with the BLM folks watching the horses come in and the BLM folks working the horses in the corral. It was amazing and I'm so glad I went. They are going to be corraling horses east of Partoun next week in the Confusion Range.


4 comments:

  1. That looks like it was really fun to be part of! I think it would have been fun to go just to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do they do with them? I can't remember. Do they sell them or just catch, check their health, tag them and then release them? My Dad always said they were an unhealthy scrapy herd and certainly not as romantic as they are often painted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. charming mama, They will take all of the horses they catch to the holding pens in Delta. They will vaccinate, ck for other diseases, give birth control to the mares and then put them up for auction in November. The rest of them will go to green pastures in Oklahoma or missouri to spend their days. They can't kill them or use them for dog food anymore. Some of the good stallions they will release back to the desert. Your Dad was right...the old herds were little, thin and ugly. It has helped alot to do the roundups and let the good quality animals back. There was only three or four out of the 79 that looked poor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would have been so much fun to experience. There were some gorgeous horses too. Mom had a fun time! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete